nafex - Re: [nafex] growing tropicals in not so tropical places

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] growing tropicals in not so tropical places
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:18:54 -0500

Scott,
Try http://www.crfg.org
That is the site for Calif. Rare Fruit Growers. They have a huge database
on all tropicals--how to grow, fruit, etc.
I, too, have some tropicals here in Zone 4b Wisconsin. I moved to the
Arctic three years ago from Gulf Coast Texas and brought some of the plants
with me. I have a Raja Puri banana, about ready to fruit, a dwarf Cavenish
banana (given to me by Nafex member), brugmansia, bird of paradise, Mexican
Breadfruit (Monstera deliciosa), which is fruiting now and an avocado. It's
a challenge to provide enough heat for them indoors during the long winter,
plus plenty of sunlight. I have them all in south-facing windows and in
from of floor heat vents. This seems to work, because they all grow during
the winter months.
Doreen Howard