nafex - Re: [nafex] Climate zone

  • From: "Steve N. Dulaney" <dulaney@wvi.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Climate zone
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 19:57:38 -0700

Hello,

I have not noticed any change in the spring season, but the autumn rains and cold has been coming about two weeks later in my part of Oregon.  I used to have a hard time maturing my dry corn for cornmeal, but the last couple of years, I get my crop in without a problem.  I do not know if global warming is the cause or if it is something else, but it seems to me that the climate is shifting a bit.

Steve Dulaney

"H.Dessureault" wrote:

As anyone given some thought recently about the lenght of their growing season? A few days ago, I had this discussion with some friends that have also been growing all their vegetables for many years and they feel as I do that the growing season has been getting longer in the last few years. In fact, they mentioned that they are now growing a second crop of certain vegetables and delaying planting some Fall vegetables into end of July!We have some birds that have extended their territory some 100 miles further north in the last 10 years... The mournful dove that used to live near the St-Lawrence and the Great Lake would be an example.Another example would be earwigs that are suddenly quite at home in zone 3 where they didn't seem to be able to get established before. Indeed, for many years they have been quite a plague in warmer zones and people used to joke about the earwigs being able to climb walls but not the Gatineau Hills...As anyone been keeping records?Hélène, zone 3