nafex - Re: [nafex] Climate zone

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Climate zone
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 11:26:24 +0000

Hélène,
I have had corn well into early fall for a few years and haven't had
have started to not worry as much about a frost before the autumnal
equinox. Before, our rule of thumb growing season was from Memorial Day
5/30 to Labor Day the 1st Monday in Sept. That's pretty close to 90
days! I grew up in southern NH zone 5 and my grandfather always used
these dates to plant and begin watching for frost. Then there is the
full moon thing which can be quite dependable.
For quite some time now, I have relaxed about growing later season corn
and tomatoes. My pole beans go in tonight! Weather patterns may be
kinder to the NE area than to Del in MN because we are more apt to have
the warmth come up the east coast and push the cold air from central
Canada further north even at this time of year when patterns should be
changing. I think that's what I've notice most is that the patterns we
used to depend on are changing and with these changes, temps are not
usual.
vic NH zone 3