nafex - [nafex] Re: Climate zone

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Climate zone
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 15:04:16 -0000

Hélène

There has been documentation that there has been approx. 2 week
extension in the spring and some extension in the fall of
a "greening" up of the northern latitudes. I couldn't find the
article, but if I remember correctly, this finding was the result of
trying to determine where the "missing" carbon dioxide was (i.e. our
industrial civilization is putting out X amount of CO2, the ocean
absorbs Y, and plants can be estimated to absorb Z, and the remaining
goes into the atomosphere as extra CO2 A.

But X > Y + Z + A

Well it was conclusion that "part" of the CO2 was being absorbed by
longer seasons in the north.

I'm sure this affect is not consistent every year or even over all
areas (particular Minnesota in its ice age :)

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., "H.Dessureault" <inter.verbis@a...> wrote:
> As anyone given some thought recently about the lenght of their
growing season?

> A few days ago, I had this discussion with some friends that have
also been growing all their vegetables for many years and they feel
as I do that the growing season has been getting longer in the last
few years. In fact, they mentioned that they are now growing a second
crop of certain vegetables and delaying planting some Fall vegetables
into end of July!
> We have some birds that have extended their territory some 100
miles further north in the last 10 years... The mournful dove that
used to live near the St-Lawrence and the Great Lake would be an
example.
> Another example would be earwigs that are suddenly quite at home in
zone 3 where they didn't seem to be able to get established before.
Indeed, for many years they have been quite a plague in warmer zones
and people used to joke about the earwigs being able to climb walls
but not the Gatineau Hills...