nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: chilling hours

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: chilling hours
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:33:24 -0400

Hi,

Did some quick research and it is ABA not IBA, which keeps seeds dormant.

=============
http://csm.jmu.edu/biology/mcmullck/class/topic20.html

ABSCISIC ACID

This is a GROWTH INHIBITING HORMONE. It was first noticed in the
dormant buds of ash and potatoes. Application of ABSCISIC ACID (ABA) to
vegetative buds changes them to winter buds by converting the leaf primordia
into
bud scales. Its inhibitory effects on buds can be overcome by gibberellin.
There are
currently no practical uses for abscisic acid.

GIBBERELLINS

More than 80 gibberellins have been isolated and identified chemically. The
best
known is GIBBERELLIC ACID (GA3), which is also produced by the fungus
GIBBERELLA FUJIKUROI (foolish seedling disease on rice). These hormones
have dramatic effects on STEM ELONGATION (BOLTING).

The highest concentrations of gibberellins are found in SEEDS. In many plants,
gibberellins will SUBSTITUTE FOR THE DORMANCY-BREAKING COLD
OR LIGHT REQUIREMENT and promote the growth of the embryo and the
emergence of the seedling. They do this by stimulating cell elongation, which
causes
the root to penetrate the seed coat or fruit wall.

Application of gibberellins to rosette-forming plants can cause them to FLOWER
even without their appropriate temperature or light requirement being met.
Gibberellin can thus be used to produce early seed production of biennial
plants.
==========

But I think my WAG still applies, regarding the GA3 possibly breaking the
chilling
hours.

If you notice, it says there is currently no use for ABA. I wonder if it
would be of
use in seasons where cool winter weather is too slow in coming. If you began
spraying ABA when colder weather "should" be starting, maybe you could
prevent losses
due to a sudden seasonal change, happening very late in the season. Sort of
telling
the plants to put on their winter coats.

I know some people felt that the sudden winter last season killed off some of
their
vines.

Just a thought.

Regards,