nafex - [nafex] tanglefoot vs BT

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] tanglefoot vs BT
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 21:20:24 -0700

Del,

Don't apply Tanglefoot directly to the trunk of the tree!! You'll end up
bugs
piled deeply on the Tanglefoot and as soon as the bodies are one bug deep, the
following bugs just walk over their dead bodies and you have lost the effect
of
the Tanglefoot PLUS you can't get it off the tree.

Instead, use Saran Wrap or some plastic wrap and apply the Tanglefoot to the
plastic. Preferably put some cotton batting/fiberglas insulation under the
plastic to fill the nooks and crannies in the bark or the bugs will walk
under the
plastic wrap.

Ideally put on two bands of Tanglefoot so that when the bottom one is covered
with
bugs, those who walk over the dead bodies of their buddies will be trapped on
the
second band and you can remove and replace the full band

Warm the jar of Tanglefoot in the microwave to make it easier to spread.

Tanglefoot is great for bugs whose life cycle includes a trip up or down the
trunk
of a tree (Winter Moth) or those who hide in the soil during the day and come
out
and climb trees to feed at night (rhododendron root weevil, climbing
cutworms).

The tent caterpillars we have here on West Coast are the Forest and Western
Tent
caterpillars (among others) The female lays her eggs on the branch of the
tree.
In the Spring, these eggs hatch and eat the leaves of the tree. So
Tanglefoot at
this time will not be effective. If you do trap a caterpillar it will be
after it
has eaten the leaves.

My books say the Eastern tent caterpillar has a similar life cycle Winter is
passed in egg stage on branches of trees.

We use Tanglefoot on the West Coast for Winter Moth because the female is
wingless
and climbs the tree in the Fall to lay her eggs. The sticky bands are
applied in
October. The caterpillars are 2 cm and bright green with narrow white stripes
along the body. They will defoliate a tree very quickly.

I'd go with BT (Dipel) but for best results, spray in the evening because
Dipel is
inactivated by sunlight.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca