nafex - Re: [nafex] tanglefoot

  • From: "Gianni" <GIANNI-2@prodigy.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] tanglefoot
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:54:00 -0400

Hi Del:

Yrs ago in a suburb north of Boston (Ipswich-where I am from), we had a tenacious attack of the gypsy moths
that eradicated trees by the tonnage.
My Dad had a flowering dogwood that he was quite fond of and I decided to try an experiment to see if it would work.
This only works if your bark is relatively smooth where you put this.
You get a roll of shipping tape but a real good variety that has real good stickiness (like at Staples-more spensive) and
you definitely want the dispenser with it and wrap the tree backwards sticky side out. I would change the tape almost
every 3 days at first and then as things slowed down, weekly. But it worked. The tree was completely undamaged and
all the other trees looked like the morning after apocalypse now and were nuked and completely defoliated.
I have since used this idea on other trees that are subject to attack by crawlers and it does work pretty well.
Rain will wear it out over time but usually it does the trick before it breaks down. The great thing is there is no residual
anything and it just peels back off leaving everything fine.
I think it also helps growth because it's sort of a greenhouse effect when you've wrapped the tree with a fair amount of
clear plastic and warms the trunk quite nicely...
Hope this helps.
Hey, why do you think the geese flew in, in formation? I thought they only did that in departing/migrating?

Best of growing,
~Gianni