nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: on Paula Red

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: on Paula Red
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:48:59 +0000

Hi Gord - you wrote:

"Here in eastern Ontario it is a flavourful apple that keeps 4 weeks in cold
storage. It is
quickly becoming a favourite of our pick-your-own customers."

This is true here also. Then you said:

"It is one of
the most reliable bloomers and producers of any of our apple varieties."

This is true here also. Then you said:

"It's growth habit is rather unsightly and it is difficult to prune..."

This is true though understated!

I am happy to see someone come to the rescue of Paulared which must have some
redeeming qualities. I guess the bottom line is personal preference. Some of
us
don't feel the mediocre quality (subject to climate) of the fruit compared
with
other varieties which share its season is worth the creative efforts needed to
make Paulared look like an apple tree!

vic NH zone 3