nafex - Re: [nafex] ,prunus rootstocks

  • From: "H.Dessureault" <inter.verbis@atreide.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] ,prunus rootstocks
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 00:46:13 -0400

I should specify that prunus nigra is a wild plum, not a cherry.
I have an encyclopedia of local plants published in 1935 by a famous botanist in which you can find in the prunus section under prunus nigra that «.. of all the american prunus (this includes wild cherries), prunus nigra is the first to bloom, at the same time as violets...»
So, this gives you the relationship between the two and a clue on how to spot wild plums if you have any growing nearby.
They are in full bloom right now presumably in all zone 3 regions, and I can vouch that they are most spectacular. There is no leaves at flowering time (cherries have some leaves when they flower) and just dark grey sort of twisted branches that appear from a distance to be covered in patches of white snow flakes turning pale pink before they fade away.
You find them in ditches and heavy soils.
Hélène