nafex - [nafex] old scions and neighbors

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] old scions and neighbors
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 04:01:49 -0000

Today I took the last bits of apple scion stock I had and made the
rounds
of 4 neighboring farms. I had done this last year with similar scions---
worn-out, overheated, barely ledgible writing, buds swelling......I had
grafted up to a dozen trees or branches at each place on old sour crabs.
This is the area where even old farms rarely have edible fruit trees
of any
kind. So they have all been intrigued with the whole process and idea.
Well, today I was one happy camper, and the neighbors too....80+ percent of
last years took and showed 1' to 3' of growth. And, these are repositories
toward the eventuality of a test winter...hoping at last one of each will
survive somewhere. Mn. Del