nafex - [nafex] Re: KERR applecrabs

  • From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: KERR applecrabs
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 11:40:22 -0500

Kerr applecrabs are a really bright shiny dark red, late Sept.
bearing, tasty, crunchy, snack sized (2.5") little apple. They
keep better than most apples. I don't know how large the tree
would get because the tree here was invaded by borers and broke
off at the crown after it had reached bearing size. A second trunk
grew from above the graft to become bearing size and that broke
off in a violent wind. I grafted replacement trees but don't
think any of them still survive. A couple wet winters together
with our fairly flat slowly drained ground killed most of our
apple trees several years ago.

Dan Mason zone 3, NW ON Canada