nafex - RE: [nafex] screen

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <erdmanj@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@yahoogroups.com'" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: "'pinewoodel@hotmail.com]'" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com]>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] screen
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 09:20:01 -0500

Del asked:
Question : What dia. of tree is it no longer needed against
voles?...if
you were doing it what max diameter would you all make the tubes? 1", 3",
6", ? rootstocks are: apple (prunifolia and B118), manchurian apricot, pyrus

ussuriensis, prunus americana. Thanks Mn. Del Z2/3 where 1/3 of the
apples are green tip.

_________

I had estensive damage this year on some 12 year old apple trees (one was a
Scarlet Gala) that were 6 to 8 inches in diameter. On smaller trees that
were wrapped with screen or small mesh hardware cloth, the mice or voles or
whatever diabolical creatures they were, crawled inside the screen and ate
all the bark from ground level to the top of the screen. Deer ate the tips
and small branches, the neighbors cattle got loose and broke larger
branches, and rabbits worked on the areas in-between. I have had trouble
keeping critters away from the Gala apples ever since I planted the
tree--all of the plant must be really tasty. I had no apparent damage to
cherries, plums, pears, grapes or apricots.

Jim Erdman (Menomonie, WI)

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM