nafex - [nafex] Cold Damage and Fireblight

  • From: "Dr. Ethan Natelson" <natelson@pipeline.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Cold Damage and Fireblight
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:20:09 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Ed and others,

We had an uncharitable, uncharacteristic, and unpleasant hail storm hit
Houston a day or so ago with hail in some areas at baseball size and doing
between 50 and 75 million dollars damage to homes in the city.
Unfortunately, my magnificant crop of pears, on essentially blight-free
trees took a terrible beating. I took Ed's suggestion and sprayed the trees
this evening with streptomycin and foliar nourishment but this may turn out
to be a natural experiment on which of our numerous low-chill pears are
really blight resistant. I had been struggling to fruit a pear that
allegedly has a coal black exterior, fortunately I had just "bagged" some
samples of this one the day before the storm and now hope the birds will be
cooperative.

Regards, Ethan

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM