nafex - [nafex] Re: Cold

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Cold
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:48:53 -0000

Gianni,
Thanks for the kind offer, but I think being in Pennsylvania,
and needing it by tomorrow night (or possibly tonight) its wouldn't
get here in time (and its unlikely I'd get to spray it.) I'm going to
try several ideas:
1) Set up my sprinkler in one place
2) Cover what I can and place filled water jugs under the covering.
3) Hang miniature christmas lights on one apricot.

See what happens and watch the forcast.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., "GIANNI-2" <GIANNI-2@p...> wrote:
> Hello Bob & Chris:
> Thanks Bob...
> Thanks Gordon...
>
> I have the kelp spray Chris. It may help and your not far from me
in NH.
> Send me an e-mail and I'll send you some to try. You may be very
surprised!

> Best wishes,
> Gianni
>
> S-NH Z 5/6

Gordon
> Nofs. The company that sells it is Abscission Organics, phone
> 603-392-9330, e-mail Gianni-2@p... They send a sizable free
> sample, and also give a discount to Nafex members. It's probably
too late
> to get any in time for the next cold snap, though.
>
> I've never lost a tree to a late freeze. They get damaged and
suffer a
> setback, but as soon as the warm weather returns, so does the
greenery.

> - Bob
>
> > It's been a cool, damp spring here, so much flowering, growth
has been
> delayed, but things have begun to push (apricot began flowering
last
> weekend) Tonight temperatures are predicted in the low 30s and
Wednesday
> night I've seen predictions as low as 27 degrees. If I lose my
fruit crop
> for the year so be it, but on a number of plants the leaf buds
have
> elongated and are starting to open. I'm concerned that the buds
might be
> killed and I might lose the plants. Is this a legitimate
concern?

> I can set up a sprinkler in one place, but my plantings are
somewhat
> scattered. If we do get to 27 degrees I'm not sure a sprinkler
would
> help.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Chris Mauchline SE PA, zone 6
>
> P.S. One thought I had (since many of my plantings are small)
was that I
> could drape the plants with buds the furthest out with wet
towels.

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM