nafex - [nafex] Cold

  • From: "Robert L. Thomasson" <102073.3346@compuserve.com>
  • To: "INTERNET:nafex@yahoogroups.com" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Cold
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:20:28 -0400

Chris,

I'm experimenting with a spray on product that was suggested by Gordon
Nofs. The company that sells it is Abscission Organics, phone
603-392-9330, e-mail Gianni-2@prodigy.net. They send a sizable free
sample, and also give a discount to Nafex members. It's probably too late
to get any in time for the next cold snap, though.

I've never lost a tree to a late freeze. They get damaged and suffer a
setback, but as soon as the warm weather returns, so does the greenery.

- Bob

> It's been a cool, damp spring here, so much flowering, growth has been
delayed, but things have begun to push (apricot began flowering last
weekend) Tonight temperatures are predicted in the low 30s and Wednesday
night I've seen predictions as low as 27 degrees. If I lose my fruit crop
for the year so be it, but on a number of plants the leaf buds have
elongated and are starting to open. I'm concerned that the buds might be
killed and I might lose the plants. Is this a legitimate concern?

I can set up a sprinkler in one place, but my plantings are somewhat
scattered. If we do get to 27 degrees I'm not sure a sprinkler would
help.

Any suggestions?

Chris Mauchline SE PA, zone 6

P.S. One thought I had (since many of my plantings are small) was that I
could drape the plants with buds the furthest out with wet towels.

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM