nafex - Re: [nafex] Persimmons & Pawpaws in zone 4?

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Persimmons & Pawpaws in zone 4?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:55:33 -0500

I have my doubts on zone 4 for pawpaws. But I say you have nothing to loose
if you don't try.
Gordon
I had a query recently from a fellow in Onalaska, WI - zone 4, who was
interested in trying to grow pawpaws(Asimina triloba) there - any thoughts
on the likelihood that they'll survive or fruit there?

I sent him a few KY-native pawpaw seed for trial planting, but recommended
he check out some of the northern nurseries that propagate pawpaws,
like Ken Asmus' OIKOS Tree Crops, John Gordon's nursery, and the Sibleys
at Tollgate G&N.

I'd be interested in hearing of any experience any of you NAFEXers in
harsher winter climates might have had in growing either pawpaws or
persimmons.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY