nafex - Re: [nafex] Cub scout Project - Apple

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Cub scout Project - Apple
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 08:23:33 -0600 (CST)

> "Antonovka" is a family name, not a variety specific. When looking
for winter
> hardy breeding material 30 years ago, I collected the Antonovkas
that USDA and
> others had earlier brought in from Russia. These are now in the
clonal repository here at Geneva -- Antonovka 1.5 Pounds (=A.
Polutorafuntovaya), A. Debnicka, A.Kamenichka, A.Michurin, A.
Monasir, A. Shafran, and A. Zheltaia. These are 7 distinct varieties.

A. Shafran has an interesting description:
"Comments:: Medium, yellow with red blush and stripes with lacy
russet. Late season. Flesh; pale yellow, crisp, juicy, spicy,
vigorous, large leaves. Very good keeper, self-fertile."

If you try grafting, you might see if you can get scion of a crabapple
named Scugog. It is a pretty, red flowered crab with attractive golf-
ball sized fruit. I seem to remember that you are in the Toronto
metropolitan area (Beautiful city!) and there is a Lake Scugog east of
the city. I assume that the cultivar was named for the lake.