nafex - [nafex] Re: To Ed

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: To Ed
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 14:15:58 -0000

> I doubt the typical suburban garden plant consumer is tremendously
> cost-sensitive. Especially the ones who are willing to buy mail
order,
> and incur enormous (relative to the cost of the plants) shipping
costs.
Well, I may not be a "typical suburban garden plant consumer", but I
am very cost sensitive. I typically have a budget that I afford to
spend on plants (and it has gone down every year for the last 2
years). I spreadsheet out my "wants" with totals (including
shipping) and then move the ones I decide not to get this year to
a "maybe next year" category. I care most about value for my money.
I buy mail order because most of the retail nurseries in my area
are "ornamental" oriented or don't carry the "unusual" stuff that I'm
interested in. And when the base shipping costs started around $8-10
and the variable rate above that was 10-15%, given the PA 6% sales
tax shipping wasn't that bad. With the base rates at $15 or more at
some nurseries and the variable rates at 15-20% it is a bigger
differential. (I know the rates nurseries pay have gone up and UPS
has gotten difficult - and I sympathize - but it still cuts into what
I can afford to buy).

> When I got the Bear Creek catalog I thought it was too good to be
true.
> It was. Now I wonder where I can go to buy. . .
It wasn't too good to be true, it was too good to last...

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/