nafex - Re: [nafex] Cub scout Project - Apple

  • From: jim <jmc1@epix.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Cub scout Project - Apple
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 08:11:05 +0000

"Antonovka" is a family name, not a variety specific.  When looking for winter hardy breeding material 30 years ago, I collected the Antonovkas that USDA  and others had earlier brought in from Russia.  These are now in the clonal repository here at Geneva -- Antonovka 1.5 Pounds (=A. Polutorafuntovaya), A. Debnicka, A.Kamenichka,  A.Michurin, A. Monasir, A. Shafran, and A. Zheltaia.  These are 7 distinct varieties.  The first -- Ant.Polt. -- is of particular interest because it is scab-immune;  huge green fruits, quite tart.  Ant.Kam. is a 2.5 inch yellow, not bad flavor.  Ant.Polt is very blight susceptible, Ant.Kam. rather tolerant.  It is probable that the "Antonovka" knocking around North America is Ant.Polt.  Missing, so far as I can ascertain, is Antonovka Ob------, Common Antonovka.  The "Antonovka" seed imported from Poland is normally Common Antonovka, with various hardy varieties as pollen parents.

//Jim
www.cumminsnursery.com

Ginda Fisher wrote:

This leads me to comment that Antonovka has a bad reputation (for fruit
quality) in this country.  Yet I know a couple of Russian emigrants who
have told me how much they miss Antonovka apples.  Their description, in
general terms, is similar to the "official" descriptions:  yellow, tart,
etc.  Is this just because they got fresher apples in Russia than at
Safeway?  Are there differing strains of Antonovka?  I've read that it
grows reasonably true from seed, so this seems plausible.

Can the scouts earn a second badge by grafting something that is popular
here on those Antonovka seedlings?

Enjoying the snowfall in the Northeast,
Ginda Fisher