nafex - [nafex] Re: an good idea.....maybe

  • From: lostman_amiga@yahoo.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: an good idea.....maybe
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:17:09 -0000

--- In nafex@y..., Thomas Olenio <tolenio@s...> wrote:

I see in places offer Quince trees and Flowering Quince. These seem
to be different family of plants. Do you know what the differences
are in the fruit?

Also, I recently tryed a quince from the grocery store. I was mildly
disappointed. Raw- It seem to be hard very dry apple (kind of Granny
smithish in taste) I didnt seem to have the fragrance or the lemony or
spicy flavor I read it should have. I tryed one baked with some nuts
and honey. It was good, but It didnt seem to be any different than an
apple...a pretty good apple, but an apple all the same. I read that ti
was also supposed to turn pink and the favor differance enhanced.

What are they like you?

> Hi,
>
> Quince is an undertated fruit. Not really accepted as it is not
eaten off
> the tree, you need to cook it first. In our fast food world you can
see
> how it would be overlooked.
>
> They are very popular in Europe, same as currants.
>
> The quice is a low care tree too.
>
> --
> Thomas Olenio
> Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a
>
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Debby Williams wrote:
>

> > I want to put in a good word for the quince - my mother makes a
crabapple quince jelly that is
> > very good. I had one quince tree in my yard at a rental house and
that was all that was needed
> > to supply plenty of them for the jelly. The tree just grew - I
didn't do anything to help it
> > along and got very large fruit.
> >
> > --
> > Debby Williams
> > Author of Fruit and Urban Kitchen Gardening e-zines at:
> > http://wz.com/homegarden/GardensPlants.html
> > Regional Advisor at http://www.thevegetablepatch.com/
> > Oakland County, Michigan USA;USDA Hardiness Zones 5b/6a
> >

> > > Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 23:39:37 -0000
> > > From: lostman_amiga@y...
> > > Subject: Re: an good idea.....maybe

.I'd give

> > > Im leaning toward a fig too. They are worry free and tasty. I
havent
> > > tasted a quince yet. They are supposed to be like hard apples?
I might
> > > contact the quince expert and ask a few questions before I
plant.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/0/_/423498/_/982685835/