nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Re: an good idea.....maybe

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Re: an good idea.....maybe
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:29:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Quince is an undertated fruit. Not really accepted as it is not eaten off
the tree, you need to cook it first. In our fast food world you can see
how it would be overlooked.

They are very popular in Europe, same as currants.

The quice is a low care tree too.

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Debby Williams wrote:

> I want to put in a good word for the quince - my mother makes a crabapple
> quince jelly that is
> very good. I had one quince tree in my yard at a rental house and that was
> all that was needed
> to supply plenty of them for the jelly. The tree just grew - I didn't do
> anything to help it
> along and got very large fruit.
>
> --
> Debby Williams
> Author of Fruit and Urban Kitchen Gardening e-zines at:
> http://wz.com/homegarden/GardensPlants.html
> Regional Advisor at http://www.thevegetablepatch.com/
> Oakland County, Michigan USA;USDA Hardiness Zones 5b/6a
>

> > Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 23:39:37 -0000
> > From: lostman_amiga@yahoo.com
> > Subject: Re: an good idea.....maybe
> >
> > --- In nafex@y..., Ginda Fisher <ginda@c...> wrote:
> > > I'd recommend fig over quince. Everyone I know who's grown fig, or
> > > lived near fig has raved about fresh fig, which is otherwise
> > > unavailable. The only person I know who grew quince dug it out because
> > > he decided it wasn't worth eating. I'm sure there are some quince fans
> > > on this list, and the trees can be very pretty, but still. . .I'd give
> > > the fig a try.
> >
> > Im leaning toward a fig too. They are worry free and tasty. I havent
> > tasted a quince yet. They are supposed to be like hard apples? I might
> > contact the quince expert and ask a few questions before I plant.
> > > Ginda
> > > eastern Mass., zone 6

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details