nafex - [nafex] Re: an good idea.....maybe

  • From: lostman_amiga@yahoo.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: an good idea.....maybe
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 23:39:37 -0000

--- In nafex@y..., Ginda Fisher <ginda@c...> wrote:
> I looked at your pictures. I don't know enough to give much helpful
> criticism, but it looks like it will be a lot of fun to try it. I was
> surprised to see wintergreen, as I think of it as a cold-climate plant.
> (I've only seen it growing wild in zone 4, but I suppose that doesn't
> prove anything.) Be warned that it's not terribly prolific (at least in
> zone 4) and the fruits don't taste all that good - actually, I prefer
> chewing on the leaves.

Thank you for the tip. I was told that wintergreen grows well in shade
down here, but I could be wrong. I just got two plants, I'm going to try
it out and see. I would be curious about what else you do with the plants
any recipies or teas?

> I may be reading the scale wrong, but I know that stella cherry wants
> full sun. I'm not sure it gets it tucked behind the pomegranate.
> (which makes me jealous. it would be fun to grow pomegranate)

The trees will be growing close togather, but wont be covering each other.
Im still a little consern with the light. There wont be any direct light
till arond noon. Stella is supposed to be good for the south. I just planted
it today, so we will see

> I'd recommend fig over quince. Everyone I know who's grown fig, or
> lived near fig has raved about fresh fig, which is otherwise
> unavailable. The only person I know who grew quince dug it out because
> he decided it wasn't worth eating. I'm sure there are some quince fans
> on this list, and the trees can be very pretty, but still. . .I'd give
> the fig a try.

Im leaning toward a fig too. They are worry free and tasty. I havent
tasted a quince yet. They are supposed to be like hard apples? I might
contact the quince expert and ask a few questions before I plant.

> Blueberries seem to want very acid soil. At least, two of mine failed
> (they might still be alive, but only barely) apparently due to
> inadequately acid soil. Other than that, I find them very satisfying.
> Few pests, great fruit, attractive plant. You are on the border between
> wanting southern rabbiteye blueberries and northern highbush
> blueberries. The southern ones get much bigger. You should probably
> ask someone nearby which does better in your neighborhood.

I have the "sunshine" variety. These are more forgiving about the acidity
in the soil. Even though I planted then in submerged plastic pots filled
will acid soil and peat moss. I wanted to miminize the effect of the acid
fertilizer altering the the PH of the surrounding soil. Besides Georgia
is a bit of the acid side anyway (at least mine is).

> Currants: If you want to make jelly (and you will) you will want more
> than one currant. They are also very easy, and bear very young, for
> quick gratification (for a fruit). I have grossly mistreated currants,
> moved them around, let them dry, planted them in moderate shade, and
> haven't lost one, yet. (They do a lot better with some sun, but they
> seem to hang on even without it.) I haven't tried jostaberries, but
> others on this list like them less than currants. If you want variety,
> try a red and a black, or try an "ornamental" Crandall currant. There
> are lots of "edible" plants which aren't worth eating - I was astonished
> to grow this ornamental currant and discover it's fruit is terrific,
> like a small potent grape.

I will be making some jelly. I got book on preserving. I made some
brandied pears last month. I will look at the archived posts about this
issue. Im curious about both. I will look at the currents more seriously.

> Good luck, let us know how it goes.
>
> Ginda
> eastern Mass., zone 6

Thank you for you help!