nafex - Re: Apple-Crop: Biannual Bearing - V/S Biennial Bearing in Mango.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: "Apple-Crop" <apple-crop@virtualorchard.net>
  • Subject: Re: Apple-Crop: Biannual Bearing - V/S Biennial Bearing in Mango.
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 00:08:13 -0800

The phenomenon of biennial bearing exists in mango too. In fact in India,
we have an on year of mango followed by an off year. Strangely, all the
trees in North India will be in ON phase during one year irrespective of
age. The following year will be OFF for all trees. So the crop in one year
is heavy and in the following year the mangoes are in short supply.

This problem has been studied intensively and the reason for it is genetic.
There are a few varieties that bear regularly. and are not affected by this
phenomena. The only solution to the problem is TO PLANT ANNUAL BEARING
VARIETIES. Nothing else works.

It may also be worthwhile to mention here that most important studies on the
bearing of mango was carried out by Dr. L.B. Singh who has written a very
famous book on Mango. Dr. Singh had also worked on the Biennial Bearing on
Apple at East Malling Research Station, UK in forties while doing Ph.D.
there. This work was published in a series of research papers in UK in
fifties in the Journal of Horticuiltural Science.

I would also like to mention here that I had done my Master's thesis under
Dr. L.B. Singh in 1961.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Fruits
http://www.lesserknownplants