nafex - [nafex] Ottawa 3 (was: Apple roostocks for Display Garden)

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Ottawa 3 (was: Apple roostocks for Display Garden)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:35:35 -0500

On Ottawa 3 rootstock: I have quite a few trees on this rootstock. I
believe it is more easily available in Canada than in USA. I have always
been pleased with this rootstock, at least until last fall - a healthy and
vigorous Pumkin Sweet tree, 6 years old, nearly 3 inches diameter at the
graft union, was blown down by a gust of wind. The breakage occured at the
graft union and was perfectly clean. There was no fibres going through the
graft line - all the root woody fibres stopped at the graft, where new
fibres of the variety started. Actually, this tree was holding together
only by the bark!!!

This definitely looks like a case of incompatibility between Ottawa 3 and
Pumkin Sweet. I would be interested to know if this is frequent with this
rootstock - have others experienced similar problems?

Thanks,
Claude in Quebec.