nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple roostocks for Display Garden

  • From: jim <jmc1@epix.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple roostocks for Display Garden
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:54:25 +0000

If you're looking to make this a comprehensive test, Kim, there are
several newer rootstock candidates that merit inclusion:
Geneva 16
Geneva 11
Geneva 30
Supporter 1
Supporter 2
Supporter 3
Supporter 4
Budagovsky 491
P.2
P.16
P.59
P.60

We have seen little difference in tree size among M.27, P.22 and Bud.
491. M.27 and P.16 are definitely less winter hardy than M.9, but that
isn't exactly your problem at Mt. Vernon. Bud.491 is very brittle, but
once established is very productive. P.22 tends to have one-sided root
system, mostly coarse roots. Unbudded P.22 is quite late to break bud
in the spring; still don't know what that implies for the tree in the
orchard.

I can't recall any fire blight reports from your area. If that is a
factor, though, then do remember that all except the Geneva stocks are
quite susceptible, and G.11 is only moderately resistant.