nafex - [nafex] Governor Wood vs. Coe's Transparent

  • From: "David A. Consolvo" <fruitopia@FIRSTVA.COM>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Governor Wood vs. Coe's Transparent
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:37:15 -0500

Yesterday I just transplanted very happily my healthy Governor Wood sweet
cherries grafted last year. Donald Yellman had recommended them (thanks for
the scionwood, Donald), and I was especially impressed by how early ripening
he said they were. But I just read in the New York Tribune of May 9, 1863:

"I discarded my Governor Wood cherry because it did not mature as early as
Coe's Transparent, nor grow such a beautiful fruit nor tree."

Does anyone second the earliness and beauty of Coe's Transparent? How is
the taste, and does it crack? I can't find a source of in on the web or in
the Fruit, Nut and Berry Inventory. Does anyone sell it?

David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia
Zone 7