nafex - Re: [nafex] Mulberry/Che Graft

  • From: "David A. Consolvo" <fruitopia@FIRSTVA.COM>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Mulberry/Che Graft
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:27:00 -0500

I don't know about che onto mulberry, but che take very well grafted onto
osage orange. The osage orange rootstock I grew out by piling (and
sometimes covering) in a garden bed a bunch of the big osage orange fruit
collected from a roadside. I use whip and tongue grafts in April, and get
almost as many takes as on apple, if the scionwood and rootstock aren't real
thin. All three species are related.

I've only tasted che fruit once, at Edible Landscaping in Afton, Virginia.
They were not rich, but refreshing and nice. I look forward to my own first
fruit this year.

David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia
Zone 7