nafex - [nafex] Re: Antique Pears

  • From: "Joseph D. Postman" <postmanj@ucs.orst.edu>
  • To: mike tomlinson <tugger@netreach.net>, nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Antique Pears
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:19:37 -0800 (PST)

Mike -

Madeleine (note spelling) is a synonym for Citron des Carmes, by which
name it is generally known in Europe. We have this cultivar at the
germplasm repository.

Claude is correct, that Brandy is an English perry pear, and not the
same as the old American cultivar Brandywine.

If you do locate sources for these cultivars, particularly for Bloodgood
or Brandywine, I would be interested in getting scions for our germplasm
collection. While I'm at it... there are a few other pear cultivars I am
trying to locate for the repository and would be interested in hearing
from anyone who has:

Elizabeth (ours was mis-identified and has been discarded)
Spadoncina (an early ripening Italian cultivar, also discarded
because ours did not match discription)
Winter Bartlett (our original source was Medford, Oregon)
Doyenne Georges Boucher (large fruited seedling of Comice from
France about 1906)
Lee (a blight resistant selection evaluated as NJ #4)
Merton Pride (triploid from England released in 1959)
Stanley (originated in Australia)

(The last 4 were known to be growing as recently as 1990 in Nova Scotia)

- Joseph

Joseph D. Postman
Plant Pathologist/Pear Curator
USDA Agricultural Research Service