nafex - Re: [nafex] Macoun apple

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Macoun apple
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:52:20 -0800

Kevin,

According to Crawford's Directory of Apple Cultivars, Egremont Russet, Golden
Russet, and McIntosh are Day 7, Liberty blooms on Day 9, and Macoun blooms
Day 11.

I wouldn't consider Macoun late. I usually think of mid-season bloomers as
day
11-15. For me, a late bloomer is Northern Spy at Day 17.

I think that the bloom period is quite spread out in moderate climates (south
coastal BC, England), but much more compressed in colder climates (southern
Ontario, southern Quebec). What does anyone think about that?

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316