nafex - Re: [nafex] Copyright issues (formerly Online and in Pirint)

  • From: fluffy bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Copyright issues (formerly Online and in Pirint)
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:09:23 -0500

Kevin wrote:

You stated earlier that: "If the board votes to put someone's work
out there for anyone to access, I think the authors should be advised
in advance so that they can withdraw their work if they see fit."

The board already has advised the authors that this is the case, I
quote:

"Articles may be reprinted as long as credit is given to its authors
and Pomona."

My reply:

Actually Kevin, this has been amended. Please look at your current
issue of POMOMA. The board, correctly amended that provision to enforce
and clarify the legal "copyright" that each individual has over their
written material.

Kevin wrote:

This is found on the front cover of every Pomona.
The above notice clearly allows us to share information found in our
egroup as well as Pomona, I have ingnored the objections of a few who
think that I need to re write material or request permission from the
authors. I would encourage the rest you to do so also, as a right
that isn't used is a right that is lost.

My reply:

Every work carries an implicit copyright. Some people feel(especially
myself) feel very strongly that all liberties need to be continually
enforced less they be lost.

I myself was greatly annoyed and concerned to find that another
publication had republished one of my articles.

Kevin wrote:

So I copy and paste the info and then email it giving
credit to NAFEX and its author. I continue to do this as I try not to
succumb to the legal paranoia that shackles so many aspects of modern
society and because it is the policy of NAFEX, and because NAFEX is
supposed to be a refuge from bureaucratic muck, and I quote from our
handbook:

My reply:

Did it ever occur to you that the author might not wish it to be used
that way?

Thank gosh the board of directors had the foresight an decorum to now
painlessly allow a method of distinguishing what may be republished and
what may be not.

Now if only the board of directors would do "the right thing" and provide
an "opt out" feature on the membership listing(especially if anyone
seriously considers republishing old issues that contain both addresses
and phone numbers(man the telemarketers will love this)).

You wrote:

NAFEXIANS have continued to write and to share freely since its
founding, that is it seems, until now, the present hyper- awareness
of copyright in the egroup threatens to end this. If we do choose to
be intimidated by those outspoken indiviuals who oppose this we will
lose this right. We owe it to our founders to prevent this from
happening, from our handbook once again I quote:

My reply:

I see. Let me see if I get this correct. There is no room for
compromise. You wish to trample on the rights of all members of the
group for the convenience of the few. And I might add the profit of
those that troll through POMONA looking for anything they can either
rework into something to sell to a horticultural magazine or republish
as is in their own.

As i stated, your board of directors provided a mechanism that is a
"compromise". Both sides should be happy with this, unless of course you
happen to be one of the trolls out there looking to pad a publication.

You wrote:

It is the above quote that inpires me to continue to cut and paste.

My reply:

Uhhh, gee great...didn't most of these founders also serve in WWII. To
preserve liberties and freedom. One of the fundamental ones in the
united states is "copyright" protection. In fact many would argue that
copyright and freedom of the press is in large measure what insures our
freedoms today.

Our founding fathers of this great nation stated it was incumbent upon
the brow of every citizen to be ever vigilant against the erosion of all
liberties without regard for how innocuous they may seem.

You wrote:

I think that it is imperative that the list administrator make this
right clear to all new members by stating it clearly in the agreement
(or whatever it is we read before we join) This right is elemental to
the spirit and original intent of our group.

My reply:

No way. Each and every e-mail carries an implicit copyright. Learn to
respect it. You have to get the permission of anyone e-mailing you, or
posting to this forum for any cutting and pasting you do outside this
forum.

Our editor understands this, the cross posters to other lists seem to
understand this(judging by the polite requests I occasionally get to
cross post something). Therefore this is not without basis or precedent.

Kevin wrote:

So Dan are you going to "run me off now"?

My reply:

No, I am <grin>. Dan is simply right in this instance.

Wishing all of you the best,

the rabbit(protecting the liberties of all)

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/976551435/