nafex - [nafex] Copyright issues (formerly Online and in Pirint)

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Copyright issues (formerly Online and in Pirint)
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:45:31 -0000

Regarding the liberal sharing of material printed in this egroup
with those outside the group, Dan H wrote recently- "I don't
subscribe to the 'everything should be free' mentality and run off
pretty fast any in my space who does."

I do believe Dan that you intend to "run off pretty fast", anyone who
disagrees with you. However, like it or not, here are my views on
this issue:"

You stated earlier that: "If the board votes to put someone's work
out there for anyone to access, I think the authors should be advised
in advance so that they can withdraw their work if they see fit."

The board already has advised the authors that this is the case, I
quote:

"Articles may be reprinted as long as credit is given to its authors
and Pomona."

This is found on the front cover of every Pomona.
The above notice clearly allows us to share information found in our
egroup as well as Pomona, I have ingnored the objections of a few who
think that I need to re write material or request permission from the
authors. I would encourage the rest you to do so also, as a right
that isn't used is a right that is lost.

Here is an example of the circumstances under which I have shared
material:
occassionally I will come across questions by other fruitgrowers on
line and realize that we had just had a discussion of the issue in
our egroup.. So I copy and paste the info and then email it giving
credit to NAFEX and its author. I continue to do this as I try not to
succumb to the legal paranoia that shackles so many aspects of modern
society and because it is the policy of NAFEX, and because NAFEX is
supposed to be a refuge from bureaucratic muck, and I quote from our
handbook:

"Both Milo Gibson and Fred Janson . . . through Pomona had found a
way to communicate effectively wIthout being overwhelmed by a
stifling bureaucaracy."

NAFEXIANS have continued to write and to share freely since its
founding, that is it seems, until now, the present hyper- awareness
of copyright in the egroup threatens to end this. If we do choose to
be intimidated by those outspoken indiviuals who oppose this we will
lose this right. We owe it to our founders to prevent this from
happening, from our handbook once again I quote:

"Milo Gibson for one was totally dedicated to Pomona and
NAFEX. . . .all present day NAFEXians owe a deep measure of gratitude
for the inspiration and guidance of our founders. We must all now
work together to insure that the spirit of NAFEX continues to
flourish for future generations of fruit explorers."

It is the above quote that inpires me to continue to cut and paste.

What would Milo Gibson, Fred Janson, Robert Kurle, and the other
founders say to this copyright issue? My opionion is that they would
say, in the words of one of our most dedicated present day members-
"legalistic horse- muffins"!

I think that it is imperative that the list administrator make this
right clear to all new members by stating it clearly in the agreement
(or whatever it is we read before we join) This right is elemental to
the spirit and original intent of our group.

So Dan are you going to "run me off now"?

Kevin B

Additional discussion of this issue took place back in June of 1999
and has been running presently as "Online and In Print"

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/976538742/