nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: prunus tormentosa and robins

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: prunus tormentosa and robins
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:32:17 -0000

a local oldtimer , when he'd learned id planted nanking cherries and
was
delighted with their growth in their 3rd year( they were 75 cents i recall,
conservation grade grom the soils and water people) he said "unless you can
keep the robins off of them when the berries are just tiny little green
specks youll never have a crop..... we watched with bated breath......alas!
Fair Robin Redbreast likes baby nankings as well as the first worm! the
question is what ELSE do they devour before one even realizes there is the
first hope of a crop? so now we'll net cover the cherries, just after petal
fall, to force the little beauties to keep to their beautiful carnivorous
selves and maybe keep out the legions of hungry chipmunks as well
minnesota del