nafex - [nafex] medlar & Ashmead's K apple

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] medlar & Ashmead's K apple
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:03:18 -0800

Gene,

I'm zone 7 PNW at sea level about 65 km from the sea ...lots of rain, mossy
lawns,
acidic sandy soils. It can get down to about -12°C (I think that's about
10°F).
Our highest temps in summer can go to about 88°F. Summers can often be wet.
So
your temps are more extreme.

My medlar, Westerveld, grows very well. Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia says
it is
hardy to zone 5. The thing to know about medlars is that you DO plant the
union
below soil level. You hope it will scion root. I didn't know this and my
union
is about four inches above soil level. Tree is ten years old, about 12'
high, not
staked and seems to be fine. Lots of fruit each year (medlar is
self-fertile).
I think the fruit are supposed to be left at room temperature for about six
weeks
(bletted), then you squeeze them and this brown thick stuff comes out of the
center and you eat this. It is an 'acquired' taste. Those who has acquired
the
taste rave about them. I wasn't impressed, but there are Iranians who will
drive
for 1.5 hours to get my medlars. This year I gave them (about 11 lbs) to
someone
who is starting a connoisseurs jam-making home business. In return I hope to
get
a jar of jelly.

Again, I don't know the hardiness of Ashmeads Kernel, but I've just made a
couple
of trees. The apples are a connoisseurs apple. They don't look very good
(small
and a bit russeted), but I'm going to grow mine under shelters and this should
increase the size and reduce the russeting. They are very flavourful and
quickly
sell out at the UBC Apple Festival.

Fruit Varieties Journal March 1964. Robert A Nitschke reported from an apple
tasting event in England: 'When votes for best tasting were counted, Ashmead's
Kernel, received the largest number of first place votes. The others in order
were
Cox's Orange, Golden Delicious, William Crump, Kidd's Orange Red'

FVJ Oct 1965. Robert A. Nitschke ranked dessert apples in FVJ September 1960
and
now updates his ranking. He grows about 70 varieties in Birmingham,
Michigan. He
rates Ashmead's Kernel as 'in the first rank and a good keeper'.

Maybe other Nafexers who grow Ashmead's Kernel will let you know how it is
doing
in zone 6.

I don't have anything on Hidden Rose.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd appreciate feedback from any folks with experience with these
: varieties. I'm at 4000' in the southern Appalachians, zone 6 with cool and
: often wet summers. Soil is naturally acidic - lots of my lawn is grass
: growing through moss.
:
: Apple varieties are Ashmead's Kernel and Hidden Rose
:
: I'm also considering getting the Nottingham medlar, Can anyone explain the
difference between "bletting",
: allowing the fruit to turn brown & soften, and "rotting".
:
: gene
: spears@lmc.edu

eLerts