nafex - Re: [nafex] Meader persimmons

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Meader persimmons
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:48:25 -0800

"Lon J. Rombough" wrote:

> I'd wager you bought your "Meader" from a nursery in Oregon or Washington.
> In the NW climate Meader will set seedless fruit and mature them, but it's a
> fluke of our climate. In most places, you have to have a male to pollinate
> it. HOWEVER, "Meader" is a seedling of Garretson, one of the "Early Golden"
> family, and as such, carries genes that allow it to occasionaly develop
> limbs of male flowers.

I once read that certain other genus will produce pollen bearing flower
on female plant under conditions of exuberant
fertility/moisture/sunlight. There is a certain logic to the premise.
Setting pollen bearing flowers might be nature's way of ensuring the
exploitation of an opportunity, regardless of the existence of nearby
males. The "downside" was that all seeds would produce female plants as
there was no "y" chromosome pollen produced.

Just a thought.

>If that happens, you will get seeded fruit as long
> as you don't prune the male limb off. There are also a few perfect flowered
> persimmons. On is Szukis (pronounced "shoe kiss") and another is one from
> breeder Jim Claypool, his F-100. I have both and have found the F-100 to be
> the most reliable. It is technically male, but it sets both small seedless
> fruit and larger seeded fruit. That is, it has both male flowers and some
> perfect flowers on the same tree. Graft some on your "Meader" and you will
> get fruit on all the tree.
> -Lon Rombough
> Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
> http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids,
Michigan

All seven year old boys are lawyers. Most of them grow out of it.

Download Net2Phone's free software to make FREE calls anywhere within
the US from your PC now! Get great low rates on international calls!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10923/0/_/423498/_/978137113/