nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Meader persimmons

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Meader persimmons
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:14:26 -0800

Christopher Mauchline wrote:

> >The "downside" was that all seeds would produce female plants as
> >there was no "y" chromosome pollen produced.Just a thought.
>
> Would this be so for plants?

Doggone it. My wife warned me about putting "Aflict the comfortable" in
the signature.

Christopher, I just plain do not know. In this case, it is something I
read. I cannot say it is something I know to be a fact or that it is
something that I tried. It is just that if I were going to fiddle
around and try to make Meader behave as if it were self fertile, I would
mulch it to within an inch of its life and I would prune the tree to
ensure that sunlight penetrated the canopy. Unless somebody else in the
egroup can suggest a better way. Who knows, maybe a foliar feeding
heavy in K before it pushes its flower buds is the trick? K can do
funny things during bud initiation.

--

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids,