nafex - [nafex] Re: Fw: Beta Grapes

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Fw: Beta Grapes
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:09:36 -0000

Well, the clusters of grape flowers look like a miniture bunch of
grapes (held upright instead of hanging down). The cap of the flower
comes off and in "perfect" grape flowers the stamen touch the pistil
and fertilization occurs. Are "Beta" grapes perfect flowered? Are
these Beta grapes? In nature the male and female flowers of grapes
are actually on seperate plants. Mostly, only cultivated grapes have
male and female flowers in the same flower.

If the grapes are getting past the fertilization stage, and actually
forming small, green grapes, then I would guess disease.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@egroups.com, "Helga and Bert Dunn" <helbert@i...> wrote:
> Hello all,
> Please give an answer to this lady's problem. She lives about 100
miles N of the Peace River area of Alberta- a very cold area in
winter. Many thanks Bert

> Bert Dunn RR4 Tottenham Ont zone 4b
> www.hardygrapes.tottenham.on.ca
>

> I am sorry if I confused you with the term fragrant blossoms.
I must make 2 corrections. First of all, the term fragrant blossoms
refers to my Beta grapes, not the Valiant grapes as the Valiant are
only 2 years old. Second, rather than fragrant blossoms, I should
have said miniature clusters of grapes. What they appear to be are
tiny grapes, about the size of a pin head each, which are close
together and resemble clusters of grapes. Are they, perhaps, actual
grapes not blossoms? If so, how can I get them to grow into regular
sized grapes? They are very tiny, smell lovely, are green in color,
and then simply shrivel up. I wonder if the soil I'm using is correct
to produce normal sized grapes? Any suggestions you can give me would
be very much appreciated! Connie

Click here for more details:
http://click.egroups.com/1/10801/0/_/423498/_/977263780/