nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple Rootstocks for Extreme Cold, apricots etc..

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple Rootstocks for Extreme Cold, apricots etc..
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:39:21 -0000

Bernie, thanks, you make a convincing argument for topworking apples in our
climate zone. Any opposing opinions out there? How do you feel about
topworking other fruits, i have 50 each of the following--- pears(
ussuriensis rootstock), plums( prunus americana, and apricot(manchurian) ?
How to avoid wind breakage and weight breakage from fruit, in the
horizontal grafts? The Manchurian apricots (or whatever they are, from
Lawyers) what fabulous growth, 4' the first year i put them in the
nursury
bed, and those georgeous massive pink roots. Ive grafted moongold
sucessfully onto 20 of them, then met an old nurseryman who said "youll
never get an apricot off of either moongold or sungold here, spring is just
too late.(last frost mean date is june 10). ive heard of a producing
apricot in the area with full size fruit , of course im hoping to track it
down for scions. Any other apricot options? You mentioned the
battleford apple
in the article, i have fond memories of a trip there once, dont know of any
grown here below, is it worth pursuing? thanks again, minnesota del

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/976631966/