nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple Rootstocks for Extreme Cold, apricots etc..

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple Rootstocks for Extreme Cold, apricots etc..
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:26:27 -0800

del stubbs wrote:

> Bernie, thanks, you make a convincing argument for topworking apples in our
> climate zone. Any opposing opinions out there?

Not opposition, just a little fine tuning.

Life gets busy. Our orchards can get ahead of us. I think that it is
wise to use a salable cultivar as a frame tree, as opposed to Ranekta
rootstock. Based on an earlier thread (that may have transpired prior
to your joining the egroup), September Ruby looks like a strong
candidate.

You might try to get ahold of Robert Purvis. He is now in Minnesota.
Another candidate that you might consider is PF-51. Mr. Purvis
mentioned this cultivar in an article several years ago. One question
that you need to be asking is number of degree days to ripen. The
previously mentioned cultivars might require more summer than you can
give them.

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
Where the snow is deep