nafex - Re: [nafex] Bramley's apple

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Bramley's apple
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 06:55:10 -0800

Title: Re: [nafex] Bramley's apple
Derry:
    You just discovered the main use of Bramley - apple sauce.  It cooks down to sauce very quickly, as do most tart apples.  Something to do with the acid making the cells break down quickly.  Most apples that hold their shape when baked are sweet apples.
    I mostly agree with Ed and Elwood that most antiques aren't worth much.  After all, most originated as local seedlings and the finders weren't aware of much else in the way of varieties.  So for them, the seedlings were the best they had, or seemed great compared to the other local apples.  At that, it's still fun for hobbiests to test them,  since you might just be in a climate where that particular apple is at it's best and it will be a great apple for you.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom