nafex - Re: [nafex] Malus prunifolia

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Malus prunifolia
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:54:07 -0600

I can't comment on the root structure of the original, but "Callaway", my
favorite crab - at one time considered in the 'edible' category, but now
relegated to the 'ornamental' genre, was selected from a population of
M.prunifolia seedlings - it looked different from all the others, so maybe
it really wasn't an M.prunifolia, after all.

Callaway is very disease resistant for me, and bears a heavy crop of
large(for an ornamental) yellow-fleshed crabapples - very sweet. My kids
like it better than any other apple in the orchard.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

eGroups eLerts