nafex - Re: [nafex] Sutton Beauty apple

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Sutton Beauty apple
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:18:18 -0500

Derry,
About Dumelow's seedling, Bultitude says the same thing than your Crawford:
(quoting) "Original tree was growing in 1800. Thought to be seedling of
Northern Greening. Exhibited (as Dumelow's crab) in 1818, renamed
Wellington in 1819 or 1820". Beach's Apples of NY says about the same
thing. In fact, if I look closer in A of NY, I can read in the list of
synonyms : "Sutton Beauty, but erroneously" and the reference is Leroy
1873, a French horticulturalist. So we should presume the name Sutton
Beauty was given erroneously to Dumelow's seedling trees in France around
1870, and the Okanagan valley trees would probably not have been that one.

Sutton appears as an interesting variety if we could find some still living.

Claude

A 13:02 00.12.10 -0800, vous avez écrit :
>Claude,
>
>I had to go to the books again to see if I could find anything on Dumelow or
>Wellington.
>
>Acc to Martin Crawford, Dumelow Seedling comes from England, is a cooker,
and is a
>Northern Greenling seedling.
>
>A friend has the Apples of NY as well as all sorts of good reference books.
>
>She says the US germplasm repository (from before the Internet) lists
Sutton and
>Sutton Beauty, so that
>variety is not lost to the world.
>She also says that Aof NY says it is an error
>to consider Wellington and Dumelow as synonyms of SB. I think I
understood from
>her that Wellington and Dumelow Seedling and Dumelow's crab are synonyms
of one
>another and Sutton Beauty has many synonyms including Sutton and Morris Red.
>Sutton Beauty
>is a seedling of Hubbardson Nonsuch. Hubbardson Nonsuch is also listed as a
>synonym of SB, but A of NY says it is not a 'synonym', but a 'seedling of'.
>Apparently the picture of Sutton Beauty in A of NY is of a very nice-looking
>apple. It came out of Massachusetts in 1848.Also Sutton Beauty is an
eating apple
>(vs Dumelow which is a cooker)
>
>However, I went onto the US germplasm Repository site and there is no
listing of
>Sutton or Sutton Beauty or Morris Red. There is a listing of Wellington,
but this
>is presumably a US Wellington, not the British one.
>
>I also checked the US Germplasm site for 'Winter' and 'Winter Dessert'.
No sign
>of either. Winter is probably a generic name, or a short form of one
of the
>many apples having 'winter' as part of their name.
>
>These searches are interesting,
>
>Thanks for your input,
>
>Derry

eLerts