nafex - Re: [nafex] abandoned orchards

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] abandoned orchards
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:16:45 -0800

Del,

You know you can only believe half of what you hear ... and the problem is
knowing
which half!

One of the scientists can better answer this question, but I think what you
are
referring to is the project to wipe out all old apple trees in the Okanagan
Valley
(not really remote unless you're from NY!)

Six or eight years ago, maybe longer, a project was funded to produce sterile
male
codling moths and release them to mate with female codling moths. These
females
would either produce sterile eggs or no eggs. However they found that the old
uncared for apple trees in the area were reducing the effect of the SIR
(Sterile
Insect Release, I think) work.

I think the homeowners were offered a box of apples a year (for how long?) if
they
would cut down their old apple tree.

As I look over the list of varieties grown in Kelowna in Okanagan Valley in
1909,
there are 36 varieties listed. 31 of these varieties have been displayed at
the
UBC Apple Festival sometime in last four years, therefore someone knows of a
tree
in the area. Two varieties are available from the Canadian germplasm
repository
(Cdn Clonal Genebank Inventory). There were only three varieties I could not
find
either on BC Fruit Testers list or on Cdn Genebank list or in Martin
Crawford's
Directory or in Morgan and Richards Book of Apples: Winter, Winter Dessert,
and
Sutton Beauty.

Does anybody recognize those last three names? Maybe they have been lost, but
they could have been lost long before the SIR people went knocking on doors.

Hope you enjoyed your flight over BC.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada