nafex - RE: [nafex] Plant shipping costs (complaint)

  • From: Ed Mashburn <ribes60@currants.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] Plant shipping costs (complaint)
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 15:25:59 -0500

At 12:05 PM 12/7/00 -0600, you wrote:

>Fluffy bunny said:
>>
>>From a marketing standpoint companies often feel they can gain a
>competitive advantage by advertising lower prices and recouping the price
>differential on the shipping.
>>
>I guess another way to say this is many businesses use handling fees as
>an intended basis of revenue.
>>

>++++++++++++
>And I try to avoid dealing with businesses that do this. I would rather pay
>actual shipping costs plus a reasonable handling fee, than to have it all
>wrapped into one "shipping and handling" fee, which seems underhanded to me.
>I always try to do price comparisons using the total cost of the order when
>I buy something and am considering having it deliverd via USPS or UPS or
>other carrier.
>

>Jim Erdman (Menomonie, WI)

I agree with the above, I charge only the actual shipping costs and the
handling is included in the cost of the plant. I hate to ship just one or
two plants because it raises the cost per plant to what I think is
unreasonable.

I have seen cases where the shipping is equal to or greater than the cost
of a plant. I know that the seller can not be expected to absorb the cost
of shipping, but it should not be the source of revenue generation.

Northumberland BerryWorks
707 Front Street
Northumberland, PA 17857
Phone: (570) 473-9910