nafex - Re: [nafex] Big 4 Commercial Pears

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Big 4 Commercial Pears
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 07:38:51 -0500

Doreen Howard wrote:

> After researching heirloom pears for several weeks and interviewing 4
> growers of the same, I have a burning question that you experts may be able
> to answer. Why are the big 4 commercial pear varieties--Bartlett, Bosc,
> Anjou and Comice-- a couple of centuries old? One would think that hybrids
> with their improved disease resistance, etc. would have replaced these
> heirloom varieties. Is it taste? Is it lack of imagination? Or what?
> Please venture forth with your opinions.

My response---------

In our experience, the single biggest problem with pear (and most all raw
food products) is simply the American masses collective lack of imagination.
Or, perhaps better worded, a very poorly defined criteria of what constitutes
"taste". The popularity of fast-food burgers, America's favorite beer, etc.
are expressions of this in my view.
Also, the pear (and to a great extent, the apple) industry has done a
very
poor job in the marketing process (compared to Budweiser, McDonalds, etc.).
When we operated a retail store, I was forever amazed by what appeared to
be intelligent folks being near totally influenced by cosmetics.
Ed, So. Indiana, heaven, etc.

> Doreen Howard
> In Wisconsin, where it's snowing and snowing.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/974464341/