nafex - RE: [nafex] Big 4 Commercial Pears

  • From: "Bell, Richard" <rbell@afrs.ars.usda.gov>
  • To: "'nafex@egroups.com'" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] Big 4 Commercial Pears
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:51:33 -0500

The fruit labelled 'Bartlett' in the stores is 'Bartlett'. I do not know of
any modern variety which is truly similar to 'Bartlett', or which could be
passed off as 'Bartlett'. Some variation in quality (taste, aroma, texture)
and appearance occurs due to environmental conditions which differ among
growing region, yearly climatic variation. Additional variation in quality
could be due to maturity when harvested, and the length and type of storage.
The fruit in the stores now is probably going to be better quality, and with
more consistent ripening, than that coming out of CA storage in 3 months.
Fruit from the Sacramento River delta in California are grown without a
pollinator variety, and set parthencarpically. The shape is different from
those grown in Washington state. Take a look at the UPC sticker, which
sometimes identifies where the fruit comes from. There also may be some
variation among clones of Bartlett due to mutations, but these are not well
documented or easily recognized.

Richard Bell

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/974415375/