nafex - Re: [nafex] Big 4 Commercial Pears

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Big 4 Commercial Pears
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:17:39 -0600

At 02:53 PM 11/16/2000 -0600, Doreen wrote:
> Why are the big 4 commercial pear varieties--Bartlett, Bosc,
>Anjou and Comice?
> Is it taste?

Never understood it myself - to my palate, it COULDN'T be taste. Never
could like those soft, mushy, tasteless things that came out of the grocery
- maybe one off the tree would have been better.
However, I will concede that having grown up in the hot, humid Deep South,
where my sole exposure to pears was Keiffer, Pineapple, and Seckel, to me,
a pear is supposed to be hard, gritty, sweet, and very juicy - it's just
what my palate 'expects' a pear should be.
I'm hoping I won't be dismally disappointed once my Warren, Magness, Ayers,
and other varieties come into bearing.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY