nafex - [nafex] Was: Big 4, now pear astringency

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Was: Big 4, now pear astringency
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:37:23 -0600

At 05:43 PM 11/16/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Lucky, If you like gritty and juicy both, get an Orient. It's the closest
>thing I've found to Comice here.

Donna,
I've got a young 'Orient'(or at least that was the owner's name for it, and
it looks like Orient , to me), grafted from a huge old tree here in town -
I'll bet it's got nearly a 2 ft DBH trunk - almost has timber-type
growth. I'd had some fruit from it last year and liked them; picked up a
few this fall, but the skin was incredibly astringent this year - hope I
didn't make a mistake grafting this one. Hopefully the astringency was due
to our drought conditions.(?)

Grafted some pear rootstocks to an old 'Sugar Pear' for a friend a couple
of years back - it looked like a Seckel, but fruit was as astringent as a
green persimmon, all the way through - not just the skin. The tree had
sentimental value for her, and I was glad to preserve it for her, but when
she asked if I wanted to keep one, I respectfully declined.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/423498/_/974471847/