nafex - RE: [nafex] Re: Alternate Tools (or) On the cheap.

  • From: Tom Volkening <volkenin@mail.lib.msu.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@egroups.com'" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] Re: Alternate Tools (or) On the cheap.
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:09:44 -0500

I don't want to start a flame war here but some of the information in Mr.
Olson's message is wrong. I can't tell you about the magnetic properties of
various grades of stainless steel but I assume that the amount and kind of
elements added to the steel would effect it's magnetic properties. However,
there is no such thing as stainless steel without iron in it or "non ferrous
stainless steel". All steels are primarily iron. Here are general
definitions for steel and stainless steel taken from one of the reference
books in the Engineering Library where I work.

"Iron containing more than 0.15 percent by weight of carbon chemically
combined is normally termed steel."

"Stainless steel is a family of iron-chromium-based alloys, which are
essentially low-carbon steel alloys that contain a percentage of chromium
above 10.5 percent by weight.

Cardarelli, Francois. Materials Handbook: a Concise Desktop Reference, New
York:Springer-Verlag, 2000.

Tom Volkening
Engineering Library
1515 Engineering Building