nafex - [nafex] Apple ID keys

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Apple ID keys
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:06:38 -0000

When I visited the Home Orchard Society out there in Oregon, there
was an apple identifier there who had a little keyed book. Just for
fun I went to my van and brought out a Blue Pearmain to see if they
could ID it. Well, they didn't need the book at all, they could tell
right away. I took out a more generic looking variety and then put
their book to the test. It didn't have that apple in the book if I
recall. They said that the book is no replacement for good ole' human
memory but was a useful guide nonetheless.
What impressed me most was that most of what identifies an apple is
outside, not inside the fruit- color, stem size and position,
markings in the flesh, shape and form of the calyx, speckles on the
skin, etc.. Of course there is a lot of info inside the apple too-
distance from calyx to this or that. I learned a lot of vocabulary
that day but seem to have forgotten it!
Kevin B

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/423498/_/974297199/