nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple ID keys

  • From: "JERROLD KOERNER" <j.f.koerner@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple ID keys
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:15:29 -0900

J.K. Shaw of the Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station published a
number of Bulletins on identifing apple varieties by the characteristics of
the tree and its parts and not from the fruit. They are rather hard to find
since they were published between 1920-1940's. In his 1922 Bulletin No. 208
"Leaf Characters of Apple Varieties" he presents a key for identifing 26
apple varieties that were popular in Massachusetts at the time, solely by
the characteristics of the leaves. He expanded on this in his 1943 Bulletin
No. 403 "Descriptions of Apple Varieties" where he describes 90 apple
varieties by the characteristics of the tree, branches, bark,lenticels and
its leaves. Jerry Appleseed

>From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
>To: <nafex@egroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple ID keys
>Date: Wed, Nov 15, 2000, 9:47 AM
>

> Does anybody in the HOS know what book Kevin is referring to?
>
> I've just read an article about Wisley (Research Centre/Garden?) in England.
They

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/423498/_/974420187/